Apply for a 2018 Lenfest Institute summer internship
The Lenfest Institute for Journalism is pleased to announce a summer 2018 Internship Program for current college students who have completed at least two years of their four-year programs. The Institute is focused on strengthening local news organizations and helping them thrive online, so that they can continue to provide the quality, trusted, impactful civic journalism that is so important to our communities and our democracy.
Based in Philadelphia, at the headquarters of the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Philadelphia Daily News and Philly.com, the internships will last 10 weeks, pay $600 per week, and commence shortly after Memorial Day.
The internships will focus on administration and analysis of the Institute’s programs and grants. By helping evaluate grant applications, and tracking and reporting on what is working, the interns will play a key role in the success of the Institute. Interns will also participate in a variety of activities essential to running the non-profit Lenfest Institute, including possible research projects.
The Lenfest Institute for Journalism is the first-of-its-kind organization whose sole mission is to develop and support sustainable business models for great local journalism. We do that by funding and running programs in three areas: Impactful local journalism; new technologies, products and business models to support journalism; and projects to reach broader and more diverse audiences.
The Philadelphia news properties are now the largest newspapers in America operated as a public-benefit corporation, under the non-profit ownership of the Institute, dedicated solely to the mission of preserving local journalism nationwide. These news properties also serve as a live lab for the Institute’s innovation investments.
See www.LenfestInstitute.org for more information on the Institute, its grants, programs and mission and impact.
Description of Activities:
• Working closely with the Executive Director, the Director of Operations, and with all of the Institute’s staff and contractors, the interns will be involved in all aspects of the Institute’s operations, including some of the following areas:
• Administration and analysis of grant programs, including the Community Listening and Engagement Fund, the Institute’s Local News Innovation Grants, and others.
• Organizing and contributing to Lenfest Learning Seminars that convene experts in various newsroom activities, ranging from newsletters to events to marketing of digital subscriptions.
• Promotion of the Institute, and its research findings, through social media and other means.
• Lunch and Learn series with senior Institute staff.
• Working on projects supporting the newsroom of the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Philadelphia Daily News and Philly.com
• Research and analysis related to fundraising activities.
• Other programs and tasks essential to the Institute’s operations.
• At least two years progress towards B.A., B.S., or equivalent four-year degree.
• Demonstrated interest in journalism and/or related business issues.
• Understanding of Philadelphia, its diverse population, and its news ecosystem a plus.
• The position will be based in our Philadelphia offices.
• Please send a cover letter describing your interest, and a resume to: [email protected].
• Application deadline is April 28.