Grants Administration, Reporting and Compliance Intern
The Lenfest Institute for Journalism is pleased to announce a fall 2018 Internship Program for current college students who have completed at least two years of their four-year programs. The Institute is focused on strengthening local news organizations and helping them thrive online, so that they can continue to provide the quality, trusted, impactful civic journalism that is so important to our communities and our democracy. This internship is based in Philadelphia, at the headquarters of the Philadelphia Inquirer, the Philadelphia Daily News and Philly.com.
The Lenfest Institute for Journalism is the first-of-its-kind organization whose sole mission is to develop and support sustainable business models for great local journalism. We do that by funding and running programs in three areas: Impactful local journalism; new technologies, products and business models to support journalism; and projects to reach broader and more diverse audiences.
The Philadelphia news properties are now the largest newspapers in America operated as a public-benefit corporation, under the non-profit ownership of the Institute, dedicated solely to the mission of preserving local journalism nationwide. These news properties also serve as a live lab for the Institute’s innovation investments.
See www.LenfestInstitute.org for more information on the Institute, its grants, programs and mission and impact.
Description of Activities:
Working closely with the Director of Operations, the Business & Programs Analyst, and with all of the Institute’s staff and contractors, the intern will be involved in all aspects of the internal and external grant administration, reporting and compliance processes. The Institute both receives and gives out grants, and the intern will be involved on both ends. Some of their responsibilities will include:
- Gathering materials and applying for grants on behalf of the Institute.
- Developing documentation and producing reports as required by grantors to the Institute.
- Administering and analyzing all of the Institute’s grant-making programs, which involves reaching out to potential grant applicants, gathering information, processing their applications, ensuring they are fully evaluated, and arranging contracts for distribution of funds. This will cover such current programs as the Community Listening Community Listening and Engagement Fund, the Institute’s Local News Innovation Grants, and others, as well as potential new grant programs to be designed.
- Creating reports for internal stakeholders about the results of our grant programs
- Performing research about non-profit impact metrics to help inform our future grant giving and reporting requirements
- Other programs and tasks essential to the Institute’s operations.
The intern will also have an opportunity to work on other projects that may be of interest, including writing for our weekly newsletter, Solution Set and other internal and external communications.
• At least two years progress towards B.A., B.S., or equivalent four-year degree.
• Demonstrated interest in journalism and/or related business issues.
• Understanding of Philadelphia, its diverse population, and its news ecosystem a plus.
• The position will be based in our Philadelphia offices.
• Please send a resume to: [email protected].
• Application deadline is August 18th.