The Lenfest Institute for Journalism is a unique non-profit organization whose sole mission is to build sustainable business models for local journalism. The Institute’s goal is to transform the news industry in the digital age to ensure that high-quality local journalism remains a cornerstone of our democracy.
Journalism requires new business models, powerful innovations and diverse audiences. The Lenfest Institute is working throughout local news ecosystems, in Philadelphia and beyond, to crack the code on a sustainable future for this vital resource. The Lenfest Institute’s ownership of The Philadelphia Inquirer is the cornerstone of an enthusiastic investment in local news and the need to act decisively. The Lenfest Institute is an innovator and a change agent developing scalable solutions across Philadelphia and nationwide.
The Lenfest Institute is seeking a Program Director to lead and expand its national programs in partnership with Institute staff.
The Program Director will play a key role in all the Institute’s grantmaking and other programs to support local news around the country. Through benchmarking, publishing, advisory services, programs to share learnings, direct grants and other means, the Program Director will design and lead a series of efforts to uncover, develop and support best practices to help ensure the sustainability of quality local news that serves diverse communities.
From program design through execution to evaluation, the Program Director’s expertise and experience will help ensure our programs have the impact that we and our donors seek. The Program Director will take a lead role in producing materials to communicate the impact of our programs both to donors and to the industry, so that other local news organizations can take advantage of the lessons we generate.
The Program Director will also lead high-profile grantmaking and other programs for national funders to aid local news in service of democracy in Philadelphia and around the country. The Institute’s major program funders include individuals and large organizations that are interested in supporting local news projects in service of Democracy. Since its founding in 2016, The Institute has raised more than $80 million from over 5,000 individual and institutional donors.
The Program Director will also assist in strategy development, grant execution, document production, contract tracking, spending analysis, and any other work necessary to the operations of The Lenfest Institute.
Things we look for in a successful candidate:
- Ten or more years work experience, including in leadership positions
- Knowledge of methods for non-profit program design and execution
- Familiarity with digital news, digital subscriptions, digital audience development, product and other aspects of the print and digital news business.
- Great communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work directly with funders, and ensure program quality
- Attention to detail, and skill in managing program activities and budgets
- Experience with grant-making processes and procedures
- A mission-driven person, who cares about local news, innovation and democracy
- A great collaborator who works well with advancement, finance, operations and others
- A person who takes initiative
- Commitment to equity in all aspects of the work
- Consulting experience preferred
- Master’s degree preferred
- The job will be remote initially, but eventually located at least part-time at the Institute offices in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Salary targeted between $120,000 and $150,000, plus or minus depending on experience
- Health Insurance, 401k and other benefits
- The Institute seeks qualified candidates from all backgrounds
Please send resume and cover letter to [email protected]