Created in 2016 by Philanthropist H.F. “Gerry” Lenfest, The Lenfest Institute for Journalism is a unique non-profit organization whose sole mission is to build sustainable business models for local journalism. The Institute’s goal is to transform the news industry in the digital age to ensure that high-quality local journalism remains a cornerstone of our democracy.
Lenfest gifted to the Institute an initial endowment of $20 million and a subsequent $40 million challenge gift for investment in high-impact journalism, initiatives that serve diverse, growing audiences, and news technology and innovation. Lenfest also gifted ownership of The Philadelphia Inquirer to the Institute. The Inquirer is now operated as a for-profit public benefit corporation, and it serves as a live lab for the Institutes innovation efforts. The Lenfest Institute for Journalism is part of The Philadelphia Foundation’s Special Asset’s Fund. www.lenfestinstitute.org
The Institute is seeking a Program Director, with experience and expertise in program design and evaluation, to lead our efforts in assessing the impact of various programs, as well as to run selected programs with the aid of Institute staff:
The Program Director will play a key role in all the Institute’s grant and other programs to support local news in Philadelphia and around the country. From program design through execution to evaluation, the Program Director’s expertise and experience will help ensure our programs have the impact that we and our donors seek. The Program Director will take a lead role in producing materials to communicate the impact of our programs both to donors and to the industry, so that other local news organizations can take advantage the learnings we generate.
The Program Director will also lead high-profile grant and other programs for national funders to aid local news in service of Democracy in Philadelphia and around the country. The Institutes major program funders include large organizations that are interested in supporting local news projects in service of Democracy, as well as individuals. Large donors include Google, Facebook, The Knight Foundation, The Democracy Fund, The News Integrity Initiative, the Craig Newmark Foundation, the Independence Public Media Foundation, The National Geographic Society and many others.
The Program Director will also assist in strategy development, grant execution, document production, contract tracking, spending analysis, and any other work necessary to the operations of the Lenfest Institute.
Things we look for in a successful candidate:
- Five or more years of experience in non-profit program design and execution
- Knowledge of methods to assess learning and impact of non-profit programs
- Great communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work directly with funders, and ensure program quality
- Attention to detail, and comfort managing program budgets
- Experience with grant-making processes and procedures
- A mission-driven person, who cares about local news, innovation and democracy
- A person who takes initiative
- Familiarity with the news industry is a plus
- Master’s degree preferred
- The job will be located at the Institute offices in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Salary targeted between $100,000 and $120,000, plus or minus depending on experience
- Health Insurance, 401k and other benefits
- The Institute seeks qualified candidates from all backgrounds
Please send resume and cover letter to [email protected]